Harvey Cedars — Five homes along with the Barnegat Light Yacht Club and the High Point Fire Co. will be featured in a historic house walking tour in Harvey Cedars on Wednesday, July 17, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Three of the homes date back to the 1920s. The home of Wendy Clarke, located at 9 Kinsey Lane, was built by J. B. Kinsey overlooking Kinsey Cove in 1927. The present owners bought it in the late 1970s and subsequently put the dormer with bedrooms on the second floor and opened up the inside for better flow and views. It has unique landscaping. The sun porch overlooking the cove was the dining room in the 1930s; the scenic view over the cove is the same.
The home of Ingrid and Paul Wood at 9 West 76th St. is one of three small, typical late-1920s summer cottages next to each other. The exteriors have changed just a little, but the interiors have been extensively remodeled over their nearly century of existence. This house featured numerous DIY additions and was in a serious state of disrepair when the owners purchased it in 2003. They rebuilt the house in 2005-06 but kept its original look and appeal. Francie Milano designed the new kitchen.
At 9 West Lee Ave. (74th Street) is the residence of Cyndi and Bob Smith. On Sept. 14, 1944, the storm surge from what became known as the Great Atlantic Hurricane knocked this house on the Lee Avenue oceanfront off its thin cedar pilings, banked it off the corner of Isaac Lee’s substantial home (still there), split it at the dining room and left it in the middle of the Boulevard, cups and saucers still in place. Within weeks, the owners had a lot on West Lee Avenue, and everyone in town came to watch the movers wheel the salvaged house to its new and current location. It was one of several side-by-side duplexes when Lee developed the street more than 100 years ago, but by the 1920s all had been converted to single homes. It still has all the original interior bead-board.
At 7 West 83rd St. is the residence of Marianne Reday, a little cottage that can be seen in a 1933 aerial view of the town that will be on display at the firehouse during the tour. It was restored a year ago. The owners bumped up the back, but the first floor is much as it was originally, including the sunporch facing south. The residence also features a collection of antique toys and new landscaping.
The home of Suellen Rifkin at 5 West 77th St. is a 1940s cottage that was originally one story but was knocked off its cinder block foundation in the 1962 storm. It was believed to have been re-installed on pilings shortly thereafter, and a second floor, 1960s style, was added.
Located at 18 West 76th St., the Barnegat Light Yacht Club was originally the High Point Yacht Club and was located at the west end of 78th Street (The original 1908 building is still there.) Kinsey sold that to Dr. E. Howell Smith after World War I. The group met informally there until 1928, when they bought the land at the end of 76th Street for $2,000. The name was changed to Barnegat Light Yacht Club, and the lighthouse was used in the burgee. Construction started on the present clubhouse in 1929. Except for enclosing the porch, it has changed very little over the years.
The High Point Volunteer Fire Co., located at 10 West 80th St., is the bottled water drink and rest stop. A 1933 aerial view of the town and several historic documents and photos will be on display. The fire company was organized on June 19, 1937, and covers the municipality as well as the Loveladies and North Beach sections of Long Beach Township. Copies of Seasons in the Sun by Margaret Buchholz, the historic look at Harvey Cedars published in 1994, will be available for sale.
Tickets for the tour are $25, are limited to 200 and can be purchased at borough hall. For information, call the borough clerk’s office at 609-361-6000, extension 112, or the Harvey Cedars Activities Committee at 609-361-7990.