State Awards Over $3.1 Million to Local Towns for Road Projects

Photo by: Jack Reynolds

Ten Southern Ocean County towns will receive more than $3.1 million for infrastructure projects from the state Department of Transportation.

On the Island, Barnegat Light was awarded $314,000 for work on West Sixth Street; Beach Haven got $305,630 for Ninth Street, Delaware Avenue and Seagull Lane; Harvey Cedars got $226,297 for Cedars Avenue; Long Beach Township was awarded $343,000 for Cedar Drive; Ship Bottom got $292,897 for Sixth Street and Bay Terrace; and Surf City received $380,000 for North Fourth Street and North Seventh Street.

On the mainland, Eagleswood Township received $195,400 for Birch Lane; Little Egg Harbor Township received $432,192 for improvements to Iowa Court; Stafford Township was awarded $365,000 for Phase I of a project to improve Breakers Drive; and Tuckerton was awarded $284,666 for Second Avenue.

The money is part of $161.25 million in municipal aid from the state this year to 537 municipalities for infrastructure projects. The grants, announced on April 5, will advance road, bridge, safety and quality-of-life improvements. The total amount allocated this year is twice that of last year. The program apportions to each county a share of total state funding based on population and the number of local centerline miles.

Towns compete for portions of their county’s share. The DOT provides 75 percent of the grant amount when a town awards a contract and the remaining 25 percent upon completion of the project. Hundreds of project applications, submitted in the fall, were evaluated and rated on their merits by an independent panel of New Jersey municipal engineers, with the support of the DOT.

—V.F.

Reposted from The Sandpaper