In an effort to keep traffic flowing on one of the busiest off-season weekends on the Island, shuttle buses will circle through several parking areas for this weekend’s fourth annual LBI Fly International Kite Festival in Ship Bottom.
Event parking is available at the boat ramp, Ron Jon’s west parking lot, and the cutout between 18th Street and 22nd Street on the east side of the Boulevard in Ship Bottom. On Saturday and Sunday, shuttle buses will also loop through the parking lots of the LBI Grade School, 20th Street and Central Avenue in Ship Bottom, and the Ethel Jacobsen School, between Second and Third streets on Barnegat Avenue in Surf City, where event parking also is permitted.
The annual event, which draws all kinds of giant inflatable kites and promotes the sport of kiting, runs through Columbus Day, Monday, Oct. 8. It begins at noon on Friday, Oct. 5, with a kite-flying display and demonstration on Ship Bottom beaches, between Ninth and 11th streets.
The Long Beach Island Chamber of Commerce is the primary sponsor of the event, originally conceived and launched by Lisa Willoughby of Surf City.
Friday, Oct. 5 schedule:
- 1-3 p.m., Learn to Fly Workshop: 11th Street beach, Ship Bottom
- 6:30-10 p.m., Indoor Kite Fly and Competition at the LBI Grade School, 201 West 20th St., Ship Bottom
Saturday, Oct. 6 schedule (10 a.m. to 4 p.m., unless otherwise indicated, Ship Bottom):
- Professional Kite Show and Inflatable Kite Displays, Sixth to 16th Street beaches
- Additional Kite Demo Field, Bayview Park, 68th Street, Brant Beach
- Sport Kite Demos and Fly Your Own Kites, 11th Street
- Learn to Fly, 14th Street
- Kids Kite Making (ends at 2 p.m.), Bayview Park, 68th Street, Brant Beach
- Kids Candy Drop, 11th Street, 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Buggy Kites, 15th Street (kid rides 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., weather permitting)
- Bol Kite Races, 11th Street, noon (weather permitting)
- Kite Wind Garden Installation, 15th Street, 1 p.m.
- Memorial Fly, 1 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 7 schedule (10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Ship Bottom beaches):
- Professional Kite Show, Sixth to 16th Street beaches
- Inflatable Kite Displays, Sixth to 16th Street beaches
- Sport Kite Demos, Ninth Street beach
- Fly Your Own Kites, 11th Street beach
- Learn to Fly, 14th Street beach
- Kids Kite Making, Drifting Sands (ends at 2 p.m.)
- Kids Candy Drop, 11th Street beach, 11 a.m.
- Buggy Kites, 15th Street beach (kid rides 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., weather permitting)
- Bol Kite Races, 11th Street beach, noon
- Kite Wind Garden installation, 15th Street beach, noon
- Mayors Kite Battle, 11th Street beach, 1 p.m.
- Kids Candy Drop, 11th Street beach, 3 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 7 schedule (6:30-8:30 p.m.):
- Night Fly Extravaganza, Barnegat Lighthouse State Park and Lighthouse
Monday, Oct. 8 Schedule (10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Ship Bottom beaches):
- Professional Kite Show, 11th Street beach
- Kite Displays, Sixth to 16th Street beaches
- Sport Kite Demos, 11th Street beach
- Fly Your Own Kites, 14th Street beach
- Kite Wind Garden, 15th – 16th Street beaches
- Buggy Kites, 15th Street beach (starts at 11 a.m.)
Visit the LBI FLY website lbifly.com for additional information and make sure to look for instructions on staging areas, shuttle buses and more leading up to the event. Also, the schedule is tentative and may be subject to change due to weather conditions and other factors.